Sunday, November 15, 2020

Ethernet/Internet requirements for 2-receiver Red Pitaya

 Ash KF5EYY/3V8 just reminded me of an additional requirement for running both receivers on an RP-16, to cover 8 bands each.  Each receiver requires about 75 Mbps of Ethernet bandwidth between the receiver and your PC, and it adds up.  This means that your PC must have a gigabit Ethernet port in order to receive two receivers worth of 8-band x 192 KHz data.

My PC has such a port, but like many it was already committed to my Internet router.  Fortunately, Netgear makes a very nice unmanaged Ethernet switch, the GS 308 which retails for under US$20 plus shipping.  All I had to do was plug my receiver, my PC, my KPA-1500 amp and my router into the switch, and it was up and running.  Whew!    

No comments:

Post a Comment