Tuesday, July 23, 2019

K3PA Reporting from Kansas

Here's another variation on the equipment used by some of the most prolific RBN nodes, from Drew, K3PA:

"As the tradeoff between low band overload and high band sensitivity is so often noted, here is the approach I took.  I wanted to spot 10 bands (incl 6M), and so needed two QS1R units in any case.  I use a 18 foot vertical with a unity gain buffer (a YCCC RX circle amp) for 160 through 15m on the -1 node.  It has reduced sensitivity on 15M and up, due to the antenna design AND the buffer, AND the QS1R.


So, to spot 15/12/10/6, I have a separate antenna, an omni horizontal, basically a clone of a multiband "spider", which we used to call a "squalo" on 6M.  That antenna has a low noise figure, high intercept 16 dB gain preamp on it.  (Homebrew MOSFET type)  It generally hears better than the vertical on those bands.  I let both skim 15M with separate IDs as either can be better on 15.


As a benefit, I believe I have the only 6M node in the central US area.  I'd like to get it a little higher and away from household spurs but it does OK.


Jeff, AC0C is in my immediate geographical area also, and he has a more complicated setup leveraging his main TX antennas as well as an 8 circle and a vertical.  He also skims RTTY.  But no 6 meters there.  His node hears extraordinarily well on 160.  (Ask the east coast guys.)  Similar to me on other CW bands."  

I hope you're finding this series interesting and perhaps even inspiring.  Europe's next. 

73, Pete N4ZR

No comments:

Post a Comment